Wednesday, December 12, 2007

You're A Winner! Save this Coupon


Splash Mountain opened at Disneyland on July 17, 1989, with soft openings beginning June 19, 1989.

Based on the 1946 movie "Song of the South". Yes, that often played and well known Disney Movie? I've never seen it, I think my mom might have seen it. I don't know anyone my age (42) or younger who has seen this movie. Why did they base a 75 million dollar ride on a movie practically no one has seen?

I'm not a huge fan of "wet" rides, the idea of walking around Disneyland all day in wet socks and soaking underwear sounds dreadful! But this "wet" ride is very well done, and I get a chance to see my buddies from America Sings.

Although not dated, the back of the ticket indicates the lower section is good from February 19, 1989 so I am guessing it was printed around that time.

This ticket is interesting. The lower section is good from February 19th, 1989 and expires June 9, 1989, a couple weeks before the soft opening. And the upper section is good until December 22, 1989. This way you could go to the park while it was being built, then return after it was completed.

How did you win one of these? I have no idea, does any one know? Since this is a lower serial number and it's stamped void, I am not even sure the promotion ever happened?

This ticket is BIG, it measures 9" x 5/8th" and it's thick card stock, nice and glossy.

The rules on the back are pretty simple - Notice the large water mark "complimentary".

I took this picture May 9th, 2007, just as the latest refurb was being finished. These plastic dummy's got to ride Splash all day long!

Tomorrow; The "D" Ticket - Part 3 the late 1960's.

7 comments:

Matterhorn1959 said...

I believe the ticket was for a Southern California McDonalds promotion Splash for the Cash. One of the prizes was admission to Disneyland.

The Viewliner Limited said...

Very cool ticket. And the test ride picture is awesome. How many people have that picture? Well I guess now a bunch of them. Thanks for posting VDT.

jedblau said...

Song of the South is a very good movie and easily available on DVD if you know where to look. I'm 38 and have seen it lots, including all its re-releases in the 70's and 80's. It was shown at the DGA in the mid-90's, and I saw it there, too. DEFINITELY worth getting and enjoying.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Hey Jed! Where can I get a good copy on DVD? I have heard the quality on some of them isn't so good? Is there a US version?

jedblau said...

If you poke around the internet, you'll find a copy. Most are imports from Japan; the film has never been released in any form in the US.

Christopher said...

This ticket was a prize at a McDonald's Promotion, but the catch is: the promotion was scheduled to run during the beginning of 1989 JUST AS Splash Mountain was SCHEDULED to open. However, this being Disney's first flume style ride, that didn't get it quite right and the logs kept bottoming out and Splash Mountain could not open on time with the promo. As a remedy to the McD's Promo, winners won their Disneyland tickets, and the 2nd admission was added on at the last minute for the winners to be able to come back once the ride finally opened.

Anonymous said...

My wife and I were one of the lucky winners.
We had just moved to southern cal and were expecting a baby... Broke and had our wedding in our house.

We ate at Mcdonalds the day before our wedding... And won the tickets...

Winning the ticket meant we could have a sort of honymoon at Disneyland the day after our wedding That we could not have afforded otherwise.

Splash mountain was scheduled to open the day after our wedding so we were delighted to find out we would be able to have a second trip to Disneyland a few months later.