Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Today's Good News - July 1982

Extra! The Disneyland Press reports “Today’s Good News” for July 3rd thru July 9th, 1982.






Lots of fun entertainment on tap.





Parade route on the fold out section.






Promotion for Tron!





July 9th 1982 was also the release date of Tron! Oh man, I loved that movie! I have it on VHS, Laserdisc and CED (Select-a-vision discs).





Even better than the movie was the full size arcade game “The Discs of Tron”. I played a machine just like this one for years at the arcade in the Sherman Oaks Galleria, I worked at the Galleria from 1982 to 1984. I must have spent hundreds of dollars on this game (and Dragon Slayer!) I got pretty good at Tron, but there were always a few people better than me!






A couple screen shots of the game. You better watch you step or Sark and the MCP will de-res you then its “game over”!






Tomorrow: A fun Disneyland Flyer Comparison.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have the TRON satin jacket that they gave to the cast and crew of the movie,if you want photos of it for your Blog,let me know,Best David, Sherman Oaks,
keelerphoto10@sbcglobal.net

Major Pepperidge said...

I loved TRON when I was a kid, and would be curious to see what I think of it today (it's been a while...)! I was so fascinated with the computer generated animation, and even now I think it has an interesting look. Aren't there rumors of a remake? Just don't let Michael Bay or Jerry Bruckheimer get involved.

PS, I live within a stone's throw of the Sherman Oaks Galleria now, although it is not what it used to be.

Disneyana World said...

Playing Tron in the 1980s arcade at Disney Quest.

'Nuff said.

Matt said...

TRON is the best. I never played the Disc game, but the regular stand up game with light cycles, bug grid, MCP and tanks, I was all over that. I still remember people with their cheat sheets of light cycle patterns practicing at the Del Amo mall in Torrance for the national TRON competition...sigh...I was never that good.

Years later I did come across the licensee kit that has pictures of TONS of Tron swag...I'll try to dig it up.