Thursday, April 7, 2011

Magic Mountain Complimentary Ticket - 1980

Time to head two gallons (or $68) north of Disneyland and visit Magic Mountain in sunny Valencia California. This complimentary ticket from 1980 reflects the recent ownership change to Six Flags but still has the pre-Six Flags artwork (trolls included). The ticket itself (minus the stub) is the exact size of a check; the serial number is even in MICR print on the bottom.




The lawyers had a field day on the back of this ticket, Six Flags must have had already had this legal mumbo-jumbo from their other park’s tickets, thereof hereto! “Weldon, Williams & Lick - -Ft. Smith Ark” was the printer and maker of this fine safety paper.




This ticket is good anytime in 1980 but Magic Mountain is pretty much only open weekends in the off season. Here’s a calendar for the entire year so you can plan ahead.






Let’s add some color to this post with this November 1976 advertisement for “Fanciful curvilinear tensioned membrane structures” which of course were “part of the magic of Magic Mountain”. ALERT: Metro Monorail spotted - lower right photo - ***SAVE THE METRO***


4 comments:

MIKE COZART said...

When did the Trolls and Wizard dissapear from Magic Mountain? I think our first trip--and there were not many as my family was from san Diego (we were a Disneyland and Knott;s kinda family) was in 1976 to "Watch Our Socks Fall Off" the new Revolution.

Were the Trolls and Wizards taken away BECAUSE of the Six Flaggs take over?

I like the commercial ads featuring theme parks for their examples. When I was at San Diego State we had to dump tons of old Progressive Architecture magazines and I removed dozens and dozens of these kinds of ads --I gotta go dig them out!!

TokyoMagic! said...

Yeah, when did they get rid of the Trolls and why?

Bring back The Metro! I want my balloons back, damn it!

Major Pepperidge said...

I love Looney Tunes, but hated it when they started using those characters at MM. I'm sure that the Six Flags people thought that the wizard and trolls were strictly hicksville, and that people wanted to see more famous characters. Sort of like the Peanuts characters at Knott's!

Connie Moreno said...

I have to say, I NEVER liked Magic Mountain. From the moment I walked into that park, I felt that it lacked atmosphere, detail, magic. I went in 1970 and then again in 1980 and never ever did I wish to return. Shoot, did you notice that I didn't even capitalize park like I do when I talk about Disneyland?